Monday, September 15, 2014

Good Morning everyone I was going through my old website files readin through and trying to figure out what would be relevant today and what would not be  from the old website when I ran accross a seris of articles we ran concerning the following! I have compiled all three posts here in massive post for today's weblog as I have limited time at the library!

          
Star Date Update

    A timekeeping system used to provide a standard of galactic temporal reference, compensating for relativistic time dilation, warp-speed displacement, and other peculiarities of interstellar space travel. To those interested in the minutiae of star date computation read on Star dating is the standard; Federation terminology for measuring date and time. It is sequential only while a person remains in one place and time. Keeping track of star date is harder than one might think on a faster than light ship because of Einsteinium time compression, and the method for computing star dates is complex. Thus the time between star date 2244.0 and star date 2245.0 will be one day only if the ship remains at one location in the star trek universe, but it may be entirely different if the ship travels at Warp-Speed between two points.
                
    Saturate is given in the form of XXXX.XX, with ether one or two digits given after the decimal point. Star dates begin at 0000.00 to 9999.99; then they start over again. Star date 3305.06 would read as “star date thirty-three oh five point six not star date three thousand, three hundred five point six.”

    Star date 0001.01 is the base date for January 1 2000 for reference to star date system On this date the science council of Luna declares itself independent of the governments of the U.S.A and Japan and requests status as a united nations protectorate. Such status is granted forming the first interplanetary human government.                
   
    Star Trek fans often create “Star dates” from normal 20th century calendars dates by listing the last two digits of the year, month expressed as a two-digit number, a decimal point, and then the date expressed as two digit number. Thus July 4 2000 would be expressed as Star date 0007.04. This is not the way Starfleet figures out the Star date.

Now then I have looked up and dune a lot of research about star dates and how to calculate them the best information that I have seen and/or found is James Dixon’s website he had an article about stardates  by Shane Johnson Here is the link to his website below I suggest you retrieve this article it helped me a lot in deriving this article so after clicking the link go to Notes and look up stardates. Thanks to them and an un-named former friend who originally found these documents for me, and who also contributed to this article thank you? Now I can finally write the following update for my website for all of you to enjoy.
James Dixon Timeline, Notes and Introduction: Index [Click Here]
I am deriving this article from what I learned and how I calculate Star Dates For Star Trek Voyagearl the Episodes. dedacation plauque and logs although these may not be accurate they are only ball park figures but will get with me in the ball park for a particular event and/or Captains Log in stead of arbitrarily putting stardates at just a bunch of random numbers. If you want to calculate your own star dates I think I came up with an easy method for doing so but let it be known that I could not have done it with out retrieving the document from the above website mentioned.  I have Started to Calculate Stardates using this system Starting with Earls Graduation date Which is June 5th 2289 would roughly be translated into Stardate 8819.43 in the Star Trek Voyagearl Timeline According to their article in which I used  the following Calculations and Stardates are derived from using the following table:

1 Year =10000 Stardate Units

1day=2.74  Stardate Unites

1 Hour= 0.114 Stardate Unites

1 minute=0.0019 Stardate Unites

1 Secound=0.0000317. Stardate Units

I have included the NUMBER of days per month for your convenience:
JAN=31
FEB=28
MAR=31
APR=30
MAY=31
JUN=30
JUL=31
AUG=31
SEP=30
OCT=31
NOV=30
DEC=31

How do you know if a year is a leap year or not?  Consider these rules very carefully, or your calculations may be incorrect.
1. Years divisible by four are leap years, unless...
2. Years also divisible by 100 are not leap years, except...
3. Years divisible by 400 are leap years.

Leap Year.  don't forget, people that there Is a leap year to take into account, 1 Year =10000 Stardate Units
(A Leap Year =10002.74 Stardate Units)


So if 1 year Equals 1000 Stardate Unites then 1000 Divided by 12 Equals 83.3333333 Then Adding the year you want to this date so if we add up June 5th  2289 the Stardate equals 2881.94

Here is how I came up with that number Taking the year 2289 and adding to it 83.3333333 which equals 2372.3 then figuring out how many days are in each month which was 186 days multiplied by 2.74 which Equals 509.64 then Adding the two numbers together got me the Stardate of 2881.94 I took off the extra three’s sinse I did not need the hour minute or second but if you need them then you will have to calculate them in your calculation.

Another example: December 1st 2298  would be 2298+83.3=2381.3; 335 days x 2.74= 917.9; 2381.3+917.9= Stardate 3299.2

In Star Trek Voyagearl Episode Crisis in the Artilline Sector Part 1, I needed the stardate for Jan 1st 2301 19:00 Hours which would translate into stardate 2389.24 if we use the above table and only keeping only the first two digits beyond the decimal point and dropping the rest. Formulia I used is below

You take the actual year you want to use.+Month=83.3333333 X How many Months; + How Many Days x 2.74; +Hour 0.114 X Military Time: + the Minute=0.0019 X How Many+ the Second=0.0000317 X How many=Stardate

Now I hope this helps all of you Trekies out their be able to create your own star dates, so have fun and enjoy this update while I get back to writing my Episodes.

2367.3333333+509.64

Sincerely Captain Hedges

No comments:

Post a Comment