Friday, September 21, 2018

A City Guide to H.P. Lovecraft's Arkahm Massachuets for my 1922 Call of Cthulthu RPG Game.

What lay behind our joint love of shadows and marvels was, no doubt, the ancient, moldering, and subtly fearsome town in which we live—witch-cursed, legend-haunted Arkham, whose huddled, sagging gambrel roofs and crumbling Georgian balustrades brood out the centuries beside the darkly muttering Miskatonic.
The Thing on the Doorstep 

Sense I am back running the all new 7th edition CoC I am updating my files and I found I needed a constrainable guide to Arkham Massachusetts to use for my games their for using the 1920's source books from Chaosium I am attempting to list all of the places I am using in my games. I thought I would write it as a blog post then I could update it as needed.

Here is a copy of the Original Hand drawn map Drawn by HPL in early 1934. HPL to DW, 1934 Mar 28: "One thing I did lately was to construct a Map of Arkham, so that allusions in any future tale I may write may be consistent." First published as "Map of Arkham" in The Acolyte, 1, No. 1 (Fall 1942) 26. 

The H. P. Lovecraft Collection of Brown University Library in Providence, R.I. includes a manuscript item that must rank as one of the Holy Grails for the Lovecraft fan: HPL's own hand-drawn "Map of the Principal Parts of Arkham, Massachusetts" (Box: 24, accession no: A54798 [45]). The description in Brown's catalog reads as follows:



I believe, but have not been able to verify, that this map was also printed in one of the early Arkham House omnibus volumes, possibly Marginalia, which is now fantastically rare. Fortunately, Brown University reprinted a small image of it more recently in the Lovecraft issue of Books at Brown (Volumes XXXVIII-XXXIX). That volume is also rather obscure, but through the magic of interlibrary loan and payment of a $15 fee, the vaults of Brown recently opened so far as to issue forth a photocopy of the page in question. Since most of HPL's original works are now public domain, I am hopefully transgressing no major statutes or ordinances by providing the enlarged version below: 





 Now Chaosium Inc . In their Arkham  Unveiled series had a map from the 1920's the following map is a reposted reworked map from the above and from their version from 1922 which is what I will be using for my campaign.


I will be running my Call of Cthluthu Game on Sundays from 4pm to 8pm at Funkatronic Rex Board Games and More located at 1343 E Northern Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85020. I hope to see you all Thier! I'm setting my campaign in 1920's Arkham Massa as I have I've recently started roleplaying with new friends who hasn't done roleplaying before either, and I found out Thier love of the boardgame Arkham Horror has now rekindled my love for Lovecraft and has made me once again choose to Keeper CoC one more time.

I think I will create a separate page on this blog for this campaign for my players to be able to use in game.

Yours Captain Hedges

No comments:

Post a Comment